CEO Lunch – Building & Construction
Join us for the CEO Lunch – Building & Construction with David Chandler OAM (NSW Building Commissioner), McCrindle Research, and our event hosts and panel Thynk Group, Exempla Homes, and Sami Design Architects as we explore the future of Innovation and Regulation in the building sector.
At our CEO Lunch event David Chandler will be speaking on:
1. The future of the Building Industry, its use of global products and how it become smarter and more resilient.
2. What are the harms in today’s industry that need to be navigated and what are the emerging harms that require a proactive approach?
3. How do we create a ‘future fit regulator’ so that it can face into the future industry?
4. What will a modern regulator look like and how does it ensure it has the capability to enforce legislation and inform policy with data.
Our Panel of businesses covering various perspectives in the industry will discuss some of the barriers and opportunities they see as operators in the Building and Construction industry followed by an audience Q&A including the NSW Building Commissioner.
About Our Speakers:
David Chandler OAM (NSW Building Commissioner)
David Chandler OAM was appointed NSW Building Commissioner in 2019 after an impressive forty-year career in the Australian construction industry.
David is improving the quality of construction and restoring trust in the industry through leading the delivery of Construct NSW in collaboration with the sector.
David delivered major infrastructure and urban renewal projects including the new Parliament House in Canberra and Sydney’s Quay Apartments. As Adjunct Professor in the School of Computing, Engineering and Mathematics at Western Sydney University, David helped shape the next generation of construction professionals and founded the Centre for Smart Modern Construction, which invests in new academic and research capabilities for the construction sector.
David was awarded an Order of Australia Medal in 1989 for his services to the construction industry.
Geoff Brailey – Lead Solution Designer (McCrindle Research)
Geoff is passionate about understanding cities, organisations and people. His understanding of demographic and social trends combined with a strong grasp of the trends impacting organisations allows him to bring strategic insights to his keynotes and consulting.
His wealth of experience in solution design also allows him to take clients’ complex business problems and design tailored solutions that provide a clearer picture so that leaders can move forwards confidently.
About our Co-Hosts and Panelists
Luke Vrljic – Managing Director (Thynk Group)
In an executive capacity, Luke Vrljic is the Managing Director of several businesses.
Since assuming operational control of the family business and its model in Sydney approximately 10 years ago, Luke has increased turnover by up to 30x. In conjunction with his brother Phillip Vrljic, who owns and the north arm of the business, THYNK is the biggest supply & install company of fittings and fixtures to the new-home builder market in the country.
Approximately 5 years ago, Luke & Phillip started an additional business in wholesale of building materials. Elite Importers was a vertically integrated business that was created to fill a void, since premium service to both themselves and the greater market was missing at the time. Today they wholesale to 500 customers nationally, and are a top 5 provider to the market.
Sam Gohari – Founder and Owner (Sami Design Architects):
Sam Gohari founded Sami Design Architects in 2016 with the aim of designing timeless and beautiful architecture that reflected both human nature and the natural surroundings.
With a degree in Master of Architecture and over 20 years’ experience in the architecture and construction industry, Sam has been involved in projects for many buildings on different scales.
Sami Design Architects based in Sydney’s north-west, features a team of professional architects renowned for creating luxurious designer homes and prestige commercial projects. As winners of international awards, we strive to create structures of timeless beauty that sit in harmony with nature.
Lisa Hanckel – Business Development Manager and Co-Owner (Exempla Homes)
Lisa is the co-owner and Business Development Manager for Exempla Homes. Lisa and her husband Ronnie Hanckel have lived in the Hills area all their lives. They have a large close family of 6 children, 3 girls and 3 boys. Lisa’ previous roles included working as an Equine Veterinary Nurse, Police Officer on the Bike squad and mustering on cattle stations in the gulf.
Exempla Homes is a family run & owned business with husband & wife team Ronnie & Lisa Hanckel at the helm.
Managing Director Ronnie Hanckel has over 30 years of experience building, extending and renovating homes around greater Sydney.
Along with Lisa his wife, Ronnie leads a team of dedicated professional who provide quality customer service and pride themselves on forming long lasting customer relationships.
A more detailed sample of Exempla Homes works can be found on the website, with client testimonials.
Exempla Homes is committed to completing your home build, renovation or extension to
match your unique vision. We combine the latest materials & methods with old fashioned business values to provide service & results that are second to none.
Event Restrictions and Personal Responsibilities
NOTE: Please respect our venue and fellow businesses. Non-compliance with any of these restrictions and personal responsibilities will lead to you being asked to leave the event and no refund will be forthcoming.
If for any reason on the lead up to the Event you:
- feel unwell and are going to be tested for COVID-19
- Are awaiting the results of a COVID-19 test
- have been requested to, or are self-isolating for any reason by NSW Health Department Public Health Directive
Please inform us prior to event and we will transfer your booking to the following month or months depending on your situation.
1) Please arrive 15-30 minutes prior to event commencing so we can get all attendees into the event on time
2) Please follow the current NSW Health Guidelines on Social Distancing and wearing of face masks.
3) Do Not have physical contact with another attendee or patron at any time
4) Once inside the venue and observe the 1.5 metre rule when lining up to be registered into the venue
5) Please have your smartphone available with the camera function on and use the Venue QR code to check-in to the venue
6) Once you have checked-in you will be directed to our Event Check-in where your name will be marked off or attendee list, and you will be advised of your table number. (Which has the maximum number of people per table in line with current Health Department rules.
7) Our SHBC COVID Marshalls will be at the venue registration area in addition to the venue staff to assist all attendees
8) All meals will be served to the table by the venue staff and will be cleared once the meal aspect of the event is over.
9) Mingling and networking is permitted (under the current NSW Health guidelines for this event).
With these restrictions & Personal Responsibilities we have everyone's safety in mind and if everybody plays their part, then we can provide the safest possible environment we can and we thank you for your adherence.